Wednesday 26 September 2018

Minor/Major Project: Tikbalang Heads

Rough brainstorm sketches
I looked back on my original Tikbalang post, and decided to work more on the head. The old heads seemed to go the "zombie" route, which doesn't fit into the Tikbalang's mythology. The creature is described as "a tall, bony humanoid creature with the head and hooves of a horse and disproportionately long limbs", with a mane made of sharp spines. They're supposed to scare and play tricks on travelers, and are also thought to be guards of "elemental kingdoms". I decided to explore giving the Tikbalang the teeth of a pig (seen on the skull sketch, as well as making the front protruding teeth sharp and menacing. I wanted the creature to appear to be somewhere between physical and supernatural, appearing to almost be made of just skin and bones.

3 comments:

  1. I love the cheeks on 2 and the face/eyes of 1 and the teeth of 4 :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. loving the look of the second one, I'd like to see it with both it's original eyes and they eyes from number 4

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2. All the way 2. I come on your blog for two reasons: the quality content and the nightmares and I've never been disappointed so far

    ReplyDelete