Wednesday 3 May 2017

Clay Sculpting

For our clay sculpting classes, I decided to sculpt Vinny from Disney's Atlantis: The Lost Empire (2001). Though I missed the first class, I managed to catch up in my free time.

Vincenzo 'Vinny' Santorini


2nd class (above): This involved blocking out the basic shapes of the head and face. In Vinny's case, he needed a flat head, long chin, high cheekbones, and a curved jaw. By the end of the class Vinny had most of his features blocked out, including his nose.



3rd class: The final class mostly involved refining Vinny's features and adding details like his moustache, hair and ears. Once I'd finished fixing his jaw, I worked on his moustache, followed by his eyelids, ears, eyebrows and hair.

The final Vinny
Though he could still use a lot more refining, this is how far I managed to get with Vinny during the sessions, and I'm very happy with how he turned out.

3 comments:

  1. Well done Eleanor. Looks good. If you have the time buy / find some surgical spirit and a paint brush and paint over your model. It will remove some of the marks and blend/ soften the sculpture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan, I'll do that once I've taken him home :)

      Delete
  2. Nice work. Have you got any tips for beginners? Also, about mold making and mold making supplies as well?

    ReplyDelete